Monday, March 17, 2008

I'm Getting Tired

Once again I've spent hours exploring the sites to which we've been directed. And I'm worn to a frazzle!

Del.icio.us is an interesting idea and, perhaps, a good one for many people. Since I try not to live my life tied to a computer and so don't have a zillion bookmarks I need to keep straight, it seems of little use to me. Were I still teaching, I might well find it helpful. I did do a comparison search with it and Google, and frankly, I found little difference and in fact came up with almost identical information.

Technorati was just too jumbled and confusing. I found it to be information overload in a very unaesthetic presentation. And I couldn't quickly and satisfactorily find the stories and information I was seeking. Just a jumble... This one I'll leave to others.

And the articles on Library 2.0 and the future of libraries? They left me exhausted. Intriguing and thought provoking, yes. But also overwhelming. We are trying to automate our collection and inaugurate Listen Up! Vermont. These two things, plus all the usual work one has to do to keep order in a small, rural library, with not even one full time employee, have heaped our plates to overflowing. We'll do what we can, slowly and methodically, to move toward Library 2.0. In the meantime, our patrons seem more than satisfied with Library 1.5.